Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Saturday 28 December 2013

The most wonderful time of the year.

Happy holidays!

Christmas has me sufficiently spoiled, fat and lazy so I thought I’d share some of my new bookish acquisitions with you to make myself useful.


The final novel in the Legend series did not disappoint. I bought a digital copy of this book earlier in the month as a Merry Christmas present to me. Unfortunately, I could not stop myself from reading it before Christmas. It was very action-packed, suspenseful and romantic. But a little disclaimer, please don’t try read this right after Allegiant as I did. I do not wish such suffering on anyone.

This is a pre-loved copy I got at a bookswap for a very good price. It is one of those books that I had no idea about but the lady recommended it, and we book-lovers have to trust each other. I am very excited to read such a classic sci-fi. 

I AM SO EXCITED. My sister –bless her soul- bought me this for Christmas to begin my Sarah Dessen collection. Weirdly enough, I have read all her books, adore them and do not own any physical copies. The situation has been rectified and I am ready to fall head over heels again. This is her latest book and will be for a while. So so excited.

Ah, I feel as if a piece of me has been restored. I first read the entire series this year without having seen the movies. After being ostracised by the Potterhead community which included many of my friends, I quietly I borrowed the first book from the library and began my journey. A few years late but I made it to Hogwarts nonetheless. This is the childhood favourite I never knew I needed.

I had enough money for one more Harry Potter book and who could pass up this pre-loved, first edition hardcover? I loved this book to the moon and back and remember re-reading the epilogue everyday until I had to return it. Now that I have my own copy, no one can stop my obsession. Depending on your perspective, this is an excellent or terrible prospect.

Last but certainly not least, a short collection of letters in reply to a young writer asking for review of his work and life advice. This book is a beautiful patchwork of Rilke’s sarcasm, wisdom and prose which I hope will inspire me to write and read the rest of my life.

Click on the titles to see the synopsis and other reviews. Also let me know what bookish gifts you received for Christmas – the good and bad. Ciao!


No comments:

Post a Comment