Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Friday 25 April 2014

Harry Potter and the Killer Essay

Everyone, it's happening. My Harry Potter assignment is under way. Basically, I have to write an academic essay analyse the effectiveness of an influential author's work I can explore how the work fit into their career or how well the passage fit the genre or how well it argued a point or... almost anything really. The freedom is terrifying. I need restrictions. J.K Rowling's work spans a range of genres, a huge time span and if we are looking at Harry Potter, an entire 7 part series. HOW ON EARTH WILL I PICK A SINGLE CHAPTER?

I have narrowed my choices to these 3 scenes/chapters. Beside each I have written what part of the work I would focus on or how I would approach the topic. I'm really hoping you can help me pick something out. 
So many to choose from...


1. Diagon Alley in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone- this is when Harry first goes into Gringott's, gets his want, meets Malfoy and buys school supplies. This chapter has fantastic description and exposition. It opens up a whole new world that had simply not existed before. Rowling's phenomenal creativity shines through and blows readers away.

2. Mirror of Erised in Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone- the actual scene I would focus on is at the end of the chapter. It is quite a didactic/argumentative scene once you think about it. Dumbledore tells Harry that, "The  happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is." (p.156) Much of Rowling'series focuses on the internal battle between good and evil. The structure of the scene and Harry's deeper understanding of this concept later in the novel and series effectively highlights Rowling's message.

3. 19 Years Later in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- you know the one. Rowling confessed in 2007 that she already knew how the story of Harry, his friends and his enemies would end. Having watched a few of her interviews regarding the completion of Harry Potter's final chapters, I think it would be fascinating to explore the quite obvious relief of Harry and Rowling in the final line, when they put down their wand and pen.

As I said, I am still open to suggestions and would love your opinion on which essay I should write. Ciao! (Btw, I have been reading a lot lately. Another book review is coming up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment