Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Saturday 19 April 2014

Raining outside and on my face

It's raining guys. And I wouldn't be sad about this if I didn't have to go outside today. Anywho. Today I'm doing a fun little post as a response to this booktag I found on Youtube. It's by one of my favourite booktubers, Christine Riccio. If you want to feel feelings then watch the video at the bottom. Going in reverse order, my top cry worthy books (which you may not have read before)



Looking for Alaska by John Green
I can't tell you much without spoiling but this is by John Green so you should read it. A guy leaves his home town in search of grander maybes and in the process, opens himself to love and loss. I know I'm an idiot for not seeing it coming. The beautiful, Gatsby-like reflections the characters have *after* were just a bit much for me. There was sniffling.


If I Stay by Gale Forman
For those unfamiliar with the story, If I Stay revolves around a girl who finds herself in a coma. She has been in a carcrash. Her parents and brother have died. Her boyfriend, friend and grandparents are left. She has the choice to wake up. The whole premise of the book was heartbreaking and as she weighs up how heartbreaking a life without her family would be, she also considers whether taking another person from her friends would break them. Misty eyes and croaky voice.



13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher
A girl commits suicide and leaves a set of tapes recording her 13 reasons for killing herself. She sends these tapes to the people involved in these reasons, for them, and only them, to know. This book was so sad because you could see all the different possibilities, so many futures, and you know how it ends. Well, not always... it's a pretty awesome and inspiring ending. Tummy twisting in horror knowing that suicide is not fiction. Very watery.



The Book Thief by Macus Zusak
Liesel is a regular book nerd growing up in Nazi Germany. The story is told by a grim reaper character who sees the best and worst of humanity. Although I was outright sobbing by the end, there was a poignant beauty in the prose that has lingered ever since. This is a truly heartbreaking and inspirational story. Click
here to see my movie review.



Perks of Being a Wallflower by Peter Chbosky
Charlie is the most innocent, sweet and sympathetic character I think I have ever read. This book is told in letter form throughout Charlie's high school journey as he tries to make friends, falls in love, grows into himself and then remembers an awful part of his past. One of the best book to movie adaptations I have ever seen as well. There was shaking and sobbing well after I finished.



On the Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
As you can see from my extensive list, I am a sucker for a tragedy. This book's ending was perfection. Everything was full circle. Everything was tied together. I felt so complete that all I and the characters could do was cry a small river. This is one of my favourite books which many people haven't heard about.

All the book titles are linked to Goodreads if you want to check them out. Let me know if you have read any of them or which books have triggered a good sob. Ciao! 


No comments:

Post a Comment