Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Thursday 1 January 2015

Cinder by Marrissa Meyer - Book Review

Status: Have already purchased books two and three.
Rating: 7/5 stars.


I haven't had a book completely blow me away like this since The Fifth Wave or The Hunger Games. I went into this thinking it was a retelling of Cinderella and boy was I wrong. I was hooked from the first page. We are immediately introduced to a mechanic who has just detached her own foot. This is not your classic Cinderella. This is Cinder.

Cinder is a mechanic girl adopted by a horrible stepmother and living in New Beijing. She is first approached by Prince Kai to fix his personal android which contains important information not available on the imperial internet. Just a normal boy meets girl scenario. Except that Cinder is cyborg, 36% machine and a servant to society at large. She is volunteered by her stepmother to become a vaccine tester for medical research undertaken to cure the plague spreading to the Commonwealth. What follows is an epic adventure through a new world, government system and some bad ass  non-Disney princesses.

The novel was heavily reliant on dialogue to keep a fast pace. Not many witty one-liners but certainly lots of chemistry with Prince Kai and Iko. And the pace was what made this book for me. I was never bored and was always ready for the next mystery to present itself.

In short I ate this book up. I reveled in its creative homage to the classic fairytale and the fantastic twists and turns I never saw coming. The world-building was truly amazing and akin to the dystopian worlds I hope I can build for my stories in future. This is one series to keep on your YA fiction horizons.

Favourite quote: 
It was not her fault he had liked her. 
I was not her fault she was cyborg.
She would not apologize.


No comments:

Post a Comment