Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Tuesday 26 November 2013

How to run a maze

I thought it time to reveal the extent of my nerdiness. I read this novel in 2 sittings...


James Dashner’s novel The Maze Runner just taught me how to run a maze. ‘If you want to run a maze,’ I imagine Dashner saying, ‘you run hard so you and the audience are out of breath. You need to make sure the maze is dangerous and exciting so the audience can know how scared they should be. You’ve got to lead them right to a Cliff and jump off.’ Dashner knows this is the only way to run mazes and boy have I enjoyed the ride.

The concept of The Maze Runner is incredible.  This man had a plan and executed it with stunning results. Thomas’ sudden appearance in a complex maze with no memory, no friends or escape ideas to speak of really thrilled me- I was just as confused as he was and just as curious. His interactions with the other Gladers –the inhabitants of the maze- were carefully constructed to pike interest but not give the ending away.

The Maze Runner, book 75 in my Goodreads challenge 2013


My favourite scene was Thomas’ first run in the maze. Dashner’s very visual writing style highlighted the maze’s eeriness and the mad dash from the monsters was easy to imagine. The big reveal of Thomas’ memories was diabolical.

The only thing that bothered me was a lack of subplot, a problem I found most annoying as various subplots had time and opportunity to develop. However, I have no doubt that Dashner will use The Maze Runner as strong foundation for the rest of the trilogy.

To wrap up, I gave The Maze Runner 4/5 stars on Goodreads and I will definitely read book 2. Fans of Maximum Ride, The Hunger Games, Virals and Harry Potter will love the mystery as well as the fresh voice of Thomas. Read it before the movie in 2014.


Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment