Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Thursday 23 January 2014

Beyond words, reviewing The Book Thief movie

I am a strong advocate for great Australian authors and boy am I proud to claim Marcus Zusack and his brilliant imagination as ours. The Book Thief is one of my all time favourite books. I read it in two sittings –an accomplishment as the novel is a literary mountain. My eyes were hurting from lack of sleep and a constant stream of tears. Despite the sadness in the book, the unfairness of it all, I truly believe it to be a, “life affirming story,” as my little flyer said.

I’ve learnt over time to appreciate novels and movies as separate entities. With this in mind I had fun experiencing the story cinematically. There’s always an odd moment where you realise that what you are seeing is exactly what you thought you would see, a strange feeling of déjà vu overcame me as we entered Heaven Street and met Papa. Geoffrey Rush was incredible as was Emily Watson and our heroine, Sophie Nélisse.



There were so many beautiful cinematic moments such as the first look at the library. Liesel’s awe was a precious sight to behold. How the gold titles reflected in her eyes. Hans’ nickname for Liesel, “your Majesty,” melted my heart. The indoor snow fight complete with buckets for helmets and barracks was hilarious. Last but not least, our last look into the book thief’s life before the screen turns black *sigh* I knew the voice of Death, colours and faces would be forever burned into my memory.

My only critique was with the narration. Don’t get me wrong, I loved how direct narration was used sparingly –we all remember the Great Gatsby’s disaster narration, I felt like I waded through an entire book reading- but the voice of Death was not what I imagined, or liked. He was too polished, perfect. Not at all old, gravelly or sinister. It bothered me the whole time and I know I wasn’t the only one.

All in all, this was worth watching and I know it will grace my movie collection when released. Where were all the award nominations? But just a note, wear water-proof mascara and bring tissues. A whole box. To watch the trailer click here.


Let me know your thoughts. Was I too harsh on Death? Did you like the adaptation? Do you think it affirms life as such? I will definitely be responding to your comments J Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love The Book Thief. It's in my top two best books I've ever read list. :)

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in my top best books too! Which book is number one then? Thanks for commenting btw :)

      Delete