Yanery's bookshelf: read

Champion
That Summer
The Goddess Inheritance
Eleanor & Park
Prodigy
The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight
The List
The Maze Runner
NW
The Rosie Project
The Dead House
The Invention of Hugo Cabret
Code
Seizure
Virals
Crash
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The Selection
Goddess Interrupted
One Little White Lie


Yanery's favorite books »

Monday 13 January 2014

Review of 'The Moon and More' by Sarah Dessen

I got this book for Christmas and I was so pumped to read it. Lying in the sun with a book is my favourite holiday activity, handy really. The Moon and More lived up to my high expectations. There was romance, awkwardness, future talk and then, clarity. The sort of clarity you get after demarcation. Currently stuck in the limbo between high school and college myself, I found Emaline’s story empowering.




As always, Dessen’s characterisation was the hero of a beautiful dish. Emaline was awesomely kick-ass. Theo was hilarious. Benji was super duper cute. Morris, ah Morris. Every character was flawed and perfect, the relationships between them were dynamic and authentic. They make you laugh and empathise, all the things that characters should do.

Should I mention the crossovers? Crossovers are a notable part of Dessens work; although her novels are standalones, Colby is the hub of so many stories. Sarah Dessen is pretty much fuelling my obsession. The crossovers with Along for the Ride and Last Chance made me squeal. It was like seeing old friends for the first time in years, a phenomenon only a true booklover will understand.

The quote, “I will give you the moon and more,” resonates as Emaline is presented with a murky future. Should she pine for Columbia or be happy with her local college? Should she be aiming higher, or in a different direction? The concept was clear throughout and led to a really satisfying end.

Have I convinced you yet? Go read this book, discover Colby. Be happy.


Favourite quote:

“The mistakes you make now count. Not for everything, and not forever. But they do matter, and they shape you.


First book of 2014. Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment